The phrase “you are what you eat,” takes on significant meaning when you really examine your diet. If you want to be healthy, eat healthy. As you prepare dinner tonight, consider making these adjustments:
LOOK FOR SIMPLE SWAPS
Sometimes using healthy ingredients means simply swapping out what you are currently using with a healthier option. Consider these seamless switches:
- Swap conventional eggs for organic, pastured eggs. Pastured eggs are loaded with omega-3 fats and Vitamin E.
- Swap conventional beef for organic, pastured beef. Also higher in omega-3 fats, pastured beef is naturally lean overall.
- Swap olive oil for vegetable oil. Olive oil is famous for its heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
CHOOSE HEALTHY FOODS TO INCORPORATE INTO YOUR DIET
Planning your meals around a few healthier choices each week will have an enormous impact on your overall diet.
- Avocados. These creamy delights are full of healthy monounsaturated fats that are good for your heart and brain. Guacamole paired with vegetable strips is a tasty way to work these into your diet. Spreading it on your morning toast is healthier than butter and gives your brain an early morning boost.
- Fatty fishes. Salmon, sardines, and mackerel are excellent sources of Omega-3 fats. These fats promote heart health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as arthritis and cancer. Fisherman’s eggs are one way to incorporate these little fishes into a heart-healthy breakfast.
- Greens, greens and more greens. Green veggies of all kinds including asparagus, broccoli, spinach, kale, collards and baby lettuces are excellent sources of Vitamins A and C as well as important minerals like magnesium. Salads, stir-fries, side dishes planned around these vegetables are great ways to incorporate more of these into your diet.
Other excellent ingredients include nuts and seeds, fresh fruits and lean proteins. As a rule of thumb, remember that raw is best when it comes to vegetables. For cooked vegetables, try to avoid overcooking to maintain as much nutritional value as possible.
Remember the 80/20 rule. If you eat healthy 80 percent of the time, then you are doing great! When you have an updated kitchen, cooking can be a pleasure. Our apartments in Orlando, Northbridge Apartments Homes at Millenia Lake, have beautiful kitchens situated in spacious floor plans. Call today to explore available floor plans.